Monday, January 14, 2008

Week #2 - Exercise/Thoughts on 7 &1/2 Habits

As I followed the the 7 & 1/2 Habits Online Tutorial, I found myself jotting down notes on paper (sorry - still have not attained the status of the paperless office). All of them seem worthy of reflection and thought - but these two are the most relevant to me:

#3 - View Problems as Challenges
This is the hardest for me and something that I need to work on - to change my mindset from viewing problems as setbacks to seeing them as opportunities to learn. I guess on some level I already know this, but to put it into action everyday is a challenge for me. Also, considering that I am entering new territory here as a "digital immigrant" I need to have the attitude that I am open to learning from my mistakes.

#4 - Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner.
When #4 first appeared on my computer screen, I did not think that it was that profound. But then this appeared: "Don't say it or think it unless you want it to be true." Hmmm. Just when I thought I could breeze though to #5, this one made me stop and think. Sure, I know that I am capable of learning - in fact, I love to learn and often feel that the more I learn, the less I know (sounds like lyrics to a song!). I am recognizing just how powerful my thoughts are in terms of creating my reality. Whether it is looking at a new situation and thinking "I can't do this!" or working in my library and treating each student with respect (I have always done this - I LOVE to see how a friendly smile and a simple "How are you?" can disarm the toughest-looking teenager!). Clearly attitude is everything.

No comments: