Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Week 5 - Thing #11 Google Aps

When I teach students about doing online research, I always ask for a show of hands as to how many of them use Google (knowing that the answer is 100%).  And why wouldn't they use it?  It is EASY and FAST!  It even corrects your spelling (wish my online catalogue had that capability!).  So I cannot ignore that they use Google - instead, I demonstrate how they need to be selective with the information (evaluating websites for content).  This gives me the chance to sell our subscription databases - I tell them how the information has been reviewed by other teachers and librarians so they do not have to do it PLUS many offer citations (#1 selling point!).  So I consider myself successful if I see the class NOT using Google.

But with that said, Google is a powerful set of tools.  So for this exercise,  I decided to look at the Google Apps.  And I am very impressed with its potential for a school.  Let me list what appeals to me as a school librarian:
  1. I can do this myself.  I have the freedom to create it any way that I want. I don't have to wait for a tech person to help me set up the pages, etc.
  2. The selection of tools is very impressive - I can communicate, collaborate and publish information online.
  3. It is FREE.  Did I mention that it is FREE?  Working without money in my budget for the rest of this school year is a reality.  So when the opportunity to get something this terrific for FREE, I am intrigued!
  4. It can be accessed from any computer that has Internet access. This is a huge selling point for me - it is all about people having access to information.  
  5. I won't have to sell the students on using Google.

JOIN A NING NETWORK:  I joined the TeacherLibrarianNetwork.  As school librarians, we often work in isolation.  It is such a delight to be making connections to like-minded people!  And they talk about things that I can use!

PLAY CHECK YOUR TRAVEL IQ: Hmm - not sure if I really liked this one.  Could not tell if I was being complimented or made fun of (Nice clicking but a little faster next time?).

No comments: